The Weedon Group of Hednesford, Staffordshire, has launched its own brand of corrugated packaging for the online retail market – ePac, offering an independent alternative in a market dominated by giant multi-national corporations
ePac will draw on the strengths of the whole Weedon Group:
- In-house manufacture of specialist eCommerce board grades on its own corrugator in Weedon Corrugated Products in Audenshaw, Manchester
- Expertise in packaging reduction, including ‘right-sizing’ to reduce the use of unnecessary packaging, in i2i europe, the Group’s creative services agency
- Innovative design capabilities in both creative graphic and structural design in i2i europe
- Top quality print capability, including printing on both sides of the box, from Weedon PSC, the UK’s leading independent manufacturer of Retail Ready Packaging (RRP) and Point of Sale (PoS) display units
To support its ePac initiative, the Weedon Group has invested in buildings, staffing and equipment:
- Recently completed major restructuring of the Weedon PSC factory in Hednesford, making one large space to accommodate new production equipment and to streamline logistics to deal with increased turnover.
- Establishment and training of a new eCommerce sales and marketing team, which includes design experts, to deal with enquiries.
- Major investment in new specialist equipment including a revolutionary new taping machine which is due for installation later this month. This machine can apply different types of sealing tape offline, including ‘peel & seal’, enabling the company to manufacture bespoke packaging for the online retail market.
- The Weedon Group is a strong supporter of green production. The use of corrugated board provides a flexible, environmentally-friendly alternative to plastic packaging. In addition, the Group’s use of right-sizing helps to reduce unnecessary packaging, many of the board grades it manufactures are produced from recycled paper and the resulting packaging can be easily recycled after use. The Group also uses predominantly natural inks and coatings.
John Weedon, Managing Director of the Weedon Group, commented:
“Online retail moves the point of impact from the store to the doorstep. As the UK’s leading independent manufacturer of RRP and PoS displays, we understand the importance of the Wow! factor and are able to apply this expertise to eCommerce packaging.
“With significant investment in our infrastructure, we are gearing up for major growth in the production of packaging for online retail. The Weedon Group is positioning itself as the leading independent supplier of corrugated packaging for eCommerce, offering real choice and enhanced service in a market dominated by giant multi-nationals.”